Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fruit of the Vine



Tomatoes are definitely a fruit! I can't get enough of these heirloom brandywines! They are huge, sweet, and melt in your mouth. I have done so much with them...but I will give you my recipe for Roasted Tomato Sauce


Quarter about 6 lbs of tomatoes (or cut smaller if you like.) Slice one red or yellow onion. Peel 4 garlic cloves. Place on bar pan or cookie sheet with a lip. Drizzle with olive oil and Kosher salt. Place in a 350 degree oven for about an hour or until skins are golden and some onions are a little charred. Let cool enough to handle. Put vegetables and a handful of fresh basil in food processor or blender and blend until smooth...or chunky(whichever you like.) One full cookie sheet makes 2 pints of sauce. I freeze mine. It's a great base for tomato soup or any dish that calls for tomato sauce.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Em, I am contributing to your love of home-grown tomatoes. Try out this recipe. Yummy with tomatoes alone or I like a mix of red onion slivers, thinly sliced English cukes and toms.
Herbed Tomatoes

Peel, and dice, 6 ripe tomatoes into a bowl.
Sprinkle tomatoes with: 1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. coarse black pepper
A few leaves fresh thyme or 2 tsp. of dried
1/4 cup finely snipped parsley (or 1 T dried)
1/4 cup snipped chives or green onions (I've used dried chives--still good)
Combine, and pour over tomatoes and herbs: 1/3 cup salad oil
1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/3 C water
(or tarragon vinegar)
Cover, chill an hour spooning dressing over a few times. Drain off dressing to serve.
(Snip more parsley or chives over top, if desired)
Enjoy! Mom

Sue said...

I should have added that I make this and let it sit in the marinate overnight (or as long as it lasts! sometimes adding more veggies to the juice. You know it is good when I tell you even Adam likes it:)