Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Tuesday is Crazy day!

On tuesdays, in addition to Scouts and YW at 7:00pm, we have 3 piano lessons. Needless to say, not much cooking got done. We had soup and crackers and pears that my daughter cooked.
I did attempt a new recipe out of America's Test Kitchen which my kids loved. They took it their lunches today, and had some for a snack yesterday. It's not bad, but it didn't blow my socks off...

Banana Chip Snack Cake
makes one 8 inch cake

2 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 stick of softened butter
2 large eggs room temp
2 ripe large bananas, peeled and mashed
1/2 cup milk at room temp
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl, set aside. Beat sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy...yes it does get light and fluffy! Beat in eggs until incorporated(I used my eggs from my chickens and their yolks were a bright orange! It was kinda cool.) Beat in bananas, milk and vanilla. Add flour mixture and incorporate until no flour streaks remain. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour into greased pan and bake 55 minutes or until center is cooked. Let cool on wire rack and serve.

It's not dense and moist like banana bread, but it isn't exactly fluffy either. It's a great treat for the kids and it keeps well wrapped in plastic.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Jack sure loved it Stacey! I think you'll have to make some.