Monday, December 27, 2010

GlutenFree, SugarFree Crust

I am attempting to cut sugar out of our family after a huge stomach fiasco happened from Halloween to well past Thanksgiving.  I wasn't exposed to any gluten, but still got super sick.  So I decided to fast for 6 days and I felt great!  Now, I am not eating any grains or refined sugar.  So this crust I used for a blueberry tart.  Since I  now cook like an Italian Momma, I really don't know exact amounts on much but I will do my best to help you...

2 cups of hazelnuts
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of butter
1/2 tsp of salt

Melt honey and butter together and add salt.  Place hazelnuts in a food processor and pulse until ground into a consistency of coffee grounds or course breadcrumbs.  Err on the side of too big unless you want to make hazelnut butter :)  Place the processed hazelnuts in a bowl and pour the honey mixture over the nuts.  Combine and press into pie pan.  This recipe works well for anything that you would use a graham cracker crust for.  I also used a piece of saran wrap on my hands to press it down.  It can be a tad sticky with the honey in it.  It works well in a springform pan.  I roasted the crust in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes before putting my filling in.  Let me just say, that I could eat this crust as is it's that good!

No comments: